BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, July 27, 2009

The $45 band aid.


About 4:00 this afternoon I received a very urgent call from my wife, asking me to come home right away, because she'd cut her toe, and it was gushing blood. I raced home to find her in the basement with her foot wrapped in a severely blood soaked rag. In order to maintain our G rating, I will not show photos of the rag.

It seems that one of the dogs knocked over a coffee mug which hit the ground and shattered. One of the shards flew across the room and hit Brittan on the big toe, slicing off about a third of her toenail and both slicing and puncturing the toe. The cut was deep and the bleeding was severe.

First I called the Doctor. They were closed. Then we went to the 'minute clinic'. We waited there about 40 minutes. The RN on duty said that the job was too big for her and we needed to go to "urgent care". We hobbled back to the car and I raced to the nearest urgent care, which, ironically is just a few blocks from my work. We arrived there at 6:00 on the dot. We left at 8:15 p.m. with a band aid and my wallet lighter by $45. See photo.

Actually, the Dr felt that since the bleeding was stopped by then that we'd do more damage by opening it back up. But she did give Brittan a tetanus shot. Which was why we went to the minute clinic in the first place. It's only two blocks from our house. But..... better safe than sorry.

That's enough adventure for one day. I was really quite concerned when I got home and saw all the blood. It was one deep cut.

On a related front, we met some of the nicest people at the Urgent Care clinic. Patients and medical staff alike wanted to see a demonstration of my Amazon Kindle. So I gave them a demo. What can I say, I'm a sales guy. I could have sold at least three of them, if I'd had some handy.

1 comments:

snobound said...

Leave it to me to have the freak accidents! Sheesh, I'm so glad you were able to come home right away though...I might have bled out if I'd had to wait until 6 p.m.